Always seek out a mentor..and learn.

    When I was started out with this crazy idea that we call "Cashunt", I really tried to seek out as much research as I could about "games".    I was really influenced and inspired by cultural aspects of art..film, music, comics, classic games, noir, and theater and put them all together into one product. But sometimes that wasn't enough..so I seeked out a little guidance to make sure I was pointed to the right direction.  
     So I seeked out people that inspired me in the past, that I would call unbiased and that I call my friends / mentors today. People like Patricia Manning my old marketing/advertising professor, Philip Sabratta my theater professor, and Angela Peri.  Each one different from the other but each one being upfront and honest about the creative direction I was taking.  These lessons they gave me hold true today and will continue to do so..
      With that said if you are looking to make a "change" in your direction, all the power to you! The one thing I would say to you is "don't assume you know it all" because in the end you don't. Seek out a mentor..who he or she may be is different for each and everyone of you.  They could be a family member, good friend, professor, etc. Just seek out that person or persons that are "neutral" in their opinion and someone you can trust.  Be ready for creative criticism, BUT do not get discouraged when you hear it and consider it as a tool to further enhance your product.
       Other mentors are the ones we do not know personally but can learn a heck of a lot from them.  Now with the internet and YouTube you can look up any one you admire and learn from them.  Watch documentaries about those individuals or watch interviews they have done talking about their pitfalls and successes.  The more you take in,  the more you will learn from them and I always encourage you to share to those close to you that are willing to "change" as well.  There is plenty to go around :)
        In the end what ever project you decide to take on..you will realize you will never tire from it or ever look at your watch...because you love it!  But just as musician always practices and feeds their craft, so should you and watch your dream slowly grow into a reality.

Cheers!
Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Easy Virtual Game Night Activities!