Don't reinvent the wheel…tweak it


I can't tell you how many times in the past 15 years when I am at some sort of gathering that I'm new to my surroundings,  I feel funny but also different.   You know how it goes you get to know the people around you no matter if it's a birthday, wedding, christening etc.  and somewhere in the conversasion the ultimate question comes up…."what do you do for a living?"
   When that question comes up in most circles you will  hear….I'm in sales, construction, a nurse, a manager, secretary, attorney, etc..but when it comes to me and I say.."The scavenger hunt business"  the music stops… "you are in what?! and you make money doing that that?"  To my answers "scavenger hunt business and yes it is my career " Once I break that barrier to that question…there is this whole interest to further explore my profession which might lead into a contact.
   With all do respect all the other professions listed above..they are all fantastic occupations but in the end they are typical..people will not tend to further question what it is you do.  But if you take a current profession and tweak it a bit and make it different…well that is a whole new ball of wax.  It will be as if you have opened a new door..keep in mind mostly every profession can lead to a new and different road..which will make it more exciting and sometimes even... revolutanary. In order to be different you don't need to build  a new wheel..you are just tweaking the one you are already rolling.
    So be different, think about how you can spin your current career.  Because when it is different  then people are going to be curious and curiosity might lead you to many new roads you think you would have never traveled.  But keep this in mind..if you approach your boss and he or she says…it's a bad idea, well that's when you break free and start thinking about being an entrepreneur. In the end I have always said if I was in a room filled with all different but typical occupations surrounding me and there was also a guy or a girl that worked as an acrobat in the circus..who do you think I would find more intriguing :)

Be Different!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Easy Virtual Game Night Activities!